Since the beginning of this school year, my Bible Study class (called BSF) has been going through the very familiar section of the Bible where Moses leads the Israelites out of Egypt into the Promised Land of Canaan. Despite the familiarity of this story, as we focus on the Life of Moses it has been bringing out different levels of understanding the same story from a new perspective. So, I've been enjoying these lessons so far.
On this Saturday (11/1/2008) morning I began my usual routine of attending the BSF leadership meeting at 6:55am in Menlo Park and then had to head out early to my son's 8am soccer game in Palo Alto in the first rainy day of this winter season in California. I pulled over a hooded rain jacket to keep myself dry while the boys ran hard in the light rain on the artificial grass field. Then I got a call from my aunt.
She conveyed to me that my first out of five uncles passed away in Korea. He never woke up from the night's sleep. In recent months this uncle and I were very actively exchanging email mainly because he loves to take & send pictures of my parents and others almost like a picture journalist would. And my last email to him was that my family should be the next one spending time with him so we can be in his pictures too. Not only that his children (my cousins) and I are close in age we used to hang out practically like a family when I grew up. Needless to say he and I were pretty close.
My thoughts:
Wow, I guess I am getting old now that I am facing more deaths than weddings and baby showers; and this is the first encounter of death for someone very close to me ...
... so I thought until I got the next phone call about an hour later while watching my daughter's game.
The caller ID was my sister's # but her husband was on the line. He conveyed to me that about 9am ET, my sister did not wake from her sleep rest she took in the morning because she did not get a good night's sleep. She was fighting breast cancer but we thought the condition was not critical. My first response on the phone was: "What? Can you say that again because it's a bit noisy here and I might not have heard you correctly."
Don't you just know the moment when you could stop the time or even reverse it a little? This was that moment. How can this be?
Talk about an impact. Many thoughts rushed through my mind but I put them on pause and watched the rest of the game just to settle my mind a little so I can reflect on the lessons from the Life of Moses which are fresh in my mind because deep inside I knew God was still in full control of my life as well as my sister's and uncle's lives and He had allowed these events to happen for a special cause.
Remember that BSF leadership meeting I attended earlier? There I had shared my lesson plan for my high school class which focused on an introductory concept from how eagles train their eaglets to fly:
As eagle's position their nests on high elevation the mother eagle basically pushes the young eaglet off precipice while the father watches from above and before the eaglet hits the bottom he swoops down with incredible speed to catch with huge wings. The eaglet cannot fall faster than the father can fly. We are going to see a similar training carried out by God where He tests his people's faith on His amazing power through what seems to be deadly situations to His people.
Could God have prepared my mind through my preparation of this teaching lesson? That even though I would be experiencing the free-falling myself that I would be prompted to the picture of the father eagle swooping up the eaglet and that's exactly how God was going to do with me? Yes, I believe so!
All these, however, does not remove or lessen the pain going through me, but allow me to get my bearings straight while getting comforted. And that's where I am right now.
I will be flying to Korea tomorrow so I may attend my uncle's funeral service as well as to comfort my parents' grieving process. And because of the time constraints my brother will attend my sister's funeral service in East Coast. I would be a liar if I said I know exactly what I'm doing now but with all the prayer support from many friends/families, I am quite certain God knows what is best for me in this situation and is guiding me every step of the way.
I'm so grateful for my own family -- my wife, my three children -- which God placed me into because we are all encouraging each other to look to God during this time of confusion and pain in double whammy capacity!
3 comments:
Dear Yoon,
Young Joo forwarded your blog to me tonight. Right after today's service at our home, Soomee rushed to informed me that you have left two text messages on my cell phone. I have to read it several times to really understand what has happened. I can't imagine what your parents must be going through, especially your mother. May God comfort your family. I don't know what to say in times like this. Only thing I can offer is that I will remember to pray and intercede for you and your family. I will pray that you and your family will cling onto God's promise that there is hope of eternal life for those who are in Christ Jesus. Some day soon, all of us will be united with our loved ones in Christ Jesus. I'm encouraged to hear that God encouraged you with His words yesterday morning prior to hearing tragic news of your uncle and your dear sister's death. My heart goes out to you and your family. Let me know if there is anything I could do as a friend and a brother in Christ. Love, John
Yoon, I am glad to see you have so much strength. I remember Dongmee most through my eyes as a child and the momries of time we spent in that two storied house you lived in in Korea. She was so sweet, nice and caring. I rmember the toys (game boards) you stored underneath a bed and how we all played these together. An hunting for four leaf clovers in your yard! I think it was Dong Mee that showed me how you could make a ring with the small flowers by slitting the stem near the top of the flower and feeding the stem through. I especially remember her voice and how well she played the piano. She is very much in our thoughts.
Wanjoo, your vivid memory brings back a ton of pictures in my mind as well on all the points you mentioned. That two story house was a very special place for me as well. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. --yOOn
Post a Comment